Saturday, September 16, 2017

The Blues

I went to bed last night feeling a little melancholy...a little blue...and I woke up this morning with a song in my head...


Irving Berlin's "What'll I Do?"


I'm pretty sure it's impossible not to know this song. Berlin wrote it in 1923, and it was first performed in 1924.  Since then, virtually everyone, from Judy Garland to Bob Dylan, has done a version of it.


It's a song that is deceptively simple. A few words and the repetition of a lovely melody. But turns out...it's everything. Everyone you've ever loved. Every time you've ever lost. Everything you've ever longed for. In one little song.




And here's the thing about the blues. You're going to get 'em sometimes. It's an inevitable part of the human condition.


The question is...what are you going to do with them?


I love this song because it poses the question, but never actually provides an answer. You get to hear the words, let the melody wash over you, feel the sadness, and take it from there.


At the same time, you can't help but realize...you are not alone. Everyone has sung this song exactly because everyone has felt this way.


And so, while you may need to allow yourself to be blue for a while...at some point, you've also got to ask yourself...what are you going to do?


When I get the blues, I listen to some sad songs...and then I start singing along...I take a little time to comfort myself...then I get up and get going again.


The temptation for me is to retreat to my comfort zone and never leave. But I've realized that is not the answer. Even if it's just baby steps, you've got to keep taking risks, trying new things, pushing yourself beyond the safe and the familiar.


(Please know that none of the above is intended to address the psychological condition of depression...that is far beyond my capacity...and I hope that nothing I have written in any way minimizes those who are struggling. I'm just talking about the blues, and if what you are dealing with is more than that, please reach out, know that you are loved, and there is help for you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment