Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Hurricane Irma a/k/a NOT the Push Out of My Comfort Zone I was Looking For...

Since I started thinking about venturing beyond the comfort zone, my focus has been on taking intentional steps--deciding what and when, where and for how long--baby steps, experiments, dipping my toes in the water or possibly wading just a little bit.  This approach has been my chosen approach exactly because it is by nature comfortable. This? I can do this! It's temporary. If I hate it, I can quickly retreat. No problem.




Then Hurricane Irma came along to remind me...sometimes, we get thrust rudely out of our comfort zones and are reminded that we are powerless in so many ways. Not a great feeling, I must say.


I've alternated between feeling really calm and being on the verge of panic (inability to breathe and all that entails).



The preparation you go through in anticipation of a hurricane is partially practical, but mostly just to make yourself feel better. Surround yourself with enough food, water, flashlights, batteries, candles, etc., and you can almost convince yourself that you're "ready."


But, here's the thing. Mother Nature is more powerful than all the banana bread in the world. Which, while awesome in the truest sense of the word, is hardly comforting. No wonder I've been doing so much baking. I will comfort myself and my family. Mother Nature be damned.


I'm not sure what all of this is teaching me. Nothing I really wanted to know, that's certain.


But a few positives:


1) Objectively, we are in a reasonably safe location and are reasonably well-prepared. We may lose power, we may have some flooding, but in all likelihood, we will survive, relatively unscathed. (All of this has turned out to be true. It is sobering, however, to walk and drive around and see all the damage. So many have lost so much.)


2) We have loving family and friends. So many people have checked on us, offered to help, held us in their thoughts and prayers, and just showed us so much love and encouragement.


3) We have each other, and there is so much joy and comfort in that. I love my family and my home.


4) I am learning more about my comfort zone, my power and control (and lack thereof). I am being challenged, and so far, I'm up for it.


5) I'm essentially an introvert. So, being stuck at home in my PJs with my favorite people in the world, my books, some comfort food, candles, and wine is just fine with me.


Thanks for all of the support, and here's to those out there on the front lines! I'm so grateful!

2 comments: