Sunday, September 3, 2017

Adventures Beyond My Comfort Zone...

For several years, I had foolishly convinced myself that always sticking with the known, the familiar, the comfortable--my beloved routines--was a function of my somewhat introverted nature and my seemingly innate desire to live a simple life. 


And while there is nothing wrong with routines or with living simply, these things should not be confused with living fully. To do that, you've got to get out of your comfort zone. Trying new things allows you to discover different aspects of yourself, and having this curiosity and courage is vital.


I had so filled my live with everything that was familiar and routine, I forgot to leave space for the unexpected, growth, challenging and thinking deeply about my beliefs, hope, possibility, wonder.  And ultimately, developing and strengthening my faith.


I was placidly living my life, thinking I had it all figured out.


Amazing how something comes along to rock your world every time.


Most recently for me was my dismay over the number of people who voted for our current president, who is a malignant narcissist and represents the opposite of every value I possess.


As I emerge from my depression, I am recognizing that having your world view challenged is actually a good thing. I've been asking myself some difficult questions and realizing that, if my faith is so easily shattered, I have some work to do. But it's not meant to be easy, right?


Some of what I've been doing is connecting with different people and reconnecting with familiar people in new ways. I'm becoming a bit more outspoken about my views and more willing to share my fundamental beliefs, as well as emerging ones that are still developing.


For the foreseeable future, I'm resurrecting my blog to share and reflect upon my journey out of my comfort zone, and I hope you will tag along. Maybe share some of your own ideas and experiences (I'm always open to guest bloggers!). I also received some recent feedback that my previous blogs were a little dark, so I'm also hoping to lighten things up a bit!


So far, my first steps have been small ones...participating in a protest march...going out to dinner alone...planning my own birthday celebration...setting up some friends on a blind date...becoming a member of our local art museum...sipping a little moonshine...


I could go on, but becoming a member at the Appleton is where I'm focused currently. The extent of my artistic ability includes writing and singing. That's it. I love art, I appreciate art, but I have no ability when it comes to drawing, painting, etc.


My youngest son, however, is a budding artist. He went to several art camps this summer, and when I was looking at the offerings for the fall, I noticed my new favorite museum also has opportunities for adults. So, on a whim, I signed myself up for a pottery class, which meets at the same time that Ben will be taking his drawing/painting class.


I'm pretty terrified that, given my lack of artistic ability and general klutziness, it is going to go something like this...




Nonetheless, I shall persevere...stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. glad to see you blogging, it has been a tough year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm finally starting to feel a little better...

      Delete
    2. Your clip is hysterical! I'm glad to see you blogging again. Trying new things is difficult, because with the routined ones you pretty much know the outcome, with new ones you don't. I have found that by doing new things, it stretches my mind and helps me to be less overwhelmed in certain aspects of life than I would be otherwise. Good luck with the pottery but more importantly, whether you become an artist in this medium or not, just enjoy! ��

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Debbie! I am under no illusions that I'm going to be the next great American potter. Will do my best of course but the main focus is fun and expanding my horizons a bit!

      Delete