Sunday, September 9, 2018

The Comfort Zone Quest Continues

You might remember that I took up pottery a year or so ago, as one of several efforts to push myself out of my comfort zone.  A year later, pottery (specifically, wheel throwing) has become a part of my new, improved, and expanded comfort zone.  I love it and have done many additional classes.  In fact, I just started a new class, and while I hope to do some wheel throwing when a wheel is available (quite a few aspiring potters in this class, all of whom signed up earlier than I did, so the wheels are all taken, sigh), my focus is on learning hand building techniques.  Not so sure about this, honestly, but I am giving it a try.


The first class was nothing to write home about.  I mean, not disastrous or anything, but let's be clear...I enjoy getting my hands on the clay, but I am no artist.  I have decided to focus on simplicity, and next week I'm going to work on pinch pots, which are kind of the ultimate in clay simplicity.


I have also agreed to be on the play reading committee for the Ocala Civic Theatre, thanks to my friend, Joy, who invited me to join the group. (Ironically, our friendship was solidified by doing a few pottery classes together and even throwing a pottery party together wherein we raised some money for OCT and the Appleton Museum.)  Our second play reading committee meeting is coming up, and I've read six plays so far and have two more sitting on my bedside table waiting for me. I don't know if this qualifies as a challenge to my comfort zone.  I mean, I love to read, and I have loved theatre since being a part of WJ Stage and WST back in high school.  But I still think this qualifies.  I've lived in Ocala for more than 12 years, and other than watch a lot of plays at OCT, I have been my usual reticent self when it comes to getting involved. So, here's to baby steps, and a big thank you to Joy for being the catalyst!




Other recent excursions out of my comfort zone included spending a girls' weekend in Washington, DC with my best friends and attending our 30th high school reunion.  The best part of the weekend was visiting our old high school, finding a door wide open, and spending an hour or so wandering the hallways and remembering our teenage years spent there.  It was a hoot, to say the least.


Probably the furthest out of my comfort zone I've ventured involves my decision several months ago to start working out at Orange Theory Fitness.  I'm completely out of my element, but I'm getting great workouts, strengthening my core, losing a little weight, and shocking myself with what I am able to do.


So, that's about it, other than dabbling in a little meditation.

2 comments:

  1. Well done! We could all do with getting out of our comfort zone, yet few people make the effort. Good for you :)

    ReplyDelete